Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Fork in the Road

Do you remember the old Scooby Doo movies? In every episode it seems the Gang gets lost on the way to a rock concert. When Fred stops for directions from the creepy farmhand the Gang has two choices; the short way around or the long way around. Simple enough right? Well, they continue driving until they come to the fork in the road. The long way is sunshine and butterflies (and always Scooby's first pick) and the short way is dark and creepy and inevitably takes then past the Haunted Mansion. After a quick democratic vote in the van poor Shaggy and Scooby are out voted and the Gang goes the short way, the creepy way.

I am reaching that fork in the road. Slowly running out of steam and ambition to achieve all that I set out for myself to do. Do I set down the long road full of sunshine and butterflies knowing how easy it would be to stray or do I take the short road that is hard and scary (and more than likely leads to the Haunted Mansion)?

I weighed myself this morning and was shocked at what I saw. 1 pound gone! I thought, "That can't be right..." so weighed myself again and there was the ugly number staring back at me. I ask myself, "Is this even worth it?" I change the way I eat, stop drinking soda AND start running again and all I have to show for it are sore legs and shin splints? Something has to be wrong...right? When I am doing everything that I am supppoed to be doing and nothing changes then why did I even change at all?

I know that this is a mentality that I need to shake but the longer there is no change the more I continue to doubt. Maybe I am supposed to be fat forever...other people have no problem losing weight so why do I...It's hard to pick myself up when I have been down for such a long time. I know that my weight gain is entirely my fault. Every pound that I have gained is from food I have put in my mouth. There is no chemical imbalance, I don't have a glandular problem. I can make no excuses for the way that I am.

Therefore, I will make no excuses for why I haven't lost weight. If I am doing what I am supposed to be doing then results will show in time...hopefully.

1 comment:

  1. This journey is always hard. Any destination worth it's weight in gold has a difficult path to reach it. Stick with it. I hate to be the barer of bad news, but from what I hear, it is harder after having children (no matter how long after) to lose lbs then it was before. You can do it! Keep it up! I'm not there with you, but I'm here with you!

    ReplyDelete